Mauro Icardi got Crespo backing for Argentina selection
FIFA World Cup Russia 2018 final team selection date has come close. Argentina will go to the World Cup as one of the favourite but there are still concerns over their final team selection. La Albiceleste well-wishers, former Argentina legends, and footballer thinkers are giving their opinion on team selection. Former Argentina legend Hernan Crespo is backing Inter Milan’s Mauro Icardi for Argentina selection for Russia 2018, despite knowing that the player hasn’t been Coach Jorge Sampaoli’s favourite.
Inter Milan’s Mauro Icardi and Juventus’ Paulo Dybala are fan favourite. Everybody wants to see the duo playing in Russia except coach Sampaoli and few members of the Argentina national team.
Crespo points the finger on them. He said as Football Italia reports, “As far as I can see, it’s because he is no friend of Messi, or am I wrong? My beloved seleccion is now built around a magic circle, understand? Icardi is not in that circle and therefore, unfortunately, won’t go to the World Cup in Russia.”
Crespo thinks Icardi must go to Russia 2018. He told La Gazzetta dello Sport, “I believe this is a terrible mistake. Argentina really need a striker like him. Inside the penalty area, Icardi has no equal on a global scale. When a cross arrives, he is deadly. If you want to build moves with central passing, then Gonzalo Higuain and Sergio Aguero are more suited, but if you do like Inter with tons of crosses flung into the box, where are you going to get anyone better than Icardi?”
“He has such quick thinking and then executes it, he is physical like a bull, shoots well with his right or left foot, gets almost everything in the air. After Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi, who are on another planet, there are many strikers challenging for the third step on that podium and I put Icardi in there.”
We hope Jorge Sampaoli is listening to legendary Hernan Crespo. It’s only three weeks left in the final selection of 23 man squad for the Russia 2018. Sampaoli needs to make sure he has the right man in his squad. If Argentina fails to deliver without Icardi and Dybala, Sampaoli must be ready to face the criticism back at home.
- Gareth Bale ends Liverpool crazy run to Champions League final 2017/18
- OGC Nice midfielder Jean Michael Serri is transfer market darling
- Manchester United eyes Douglas Costa for €85m
- UEFA Champions League final 2017/18: Liverpool or Real Madrid – the game of heart and mind
- Tottenham Hotspur continue to work with their core group as Mauricio Pochettino and other coaching staffs renew their contracts
- Unai Emery was bold in his first interview as Arsenal boss
- Angel Di Maria may reunite with Carlo Ancelotti at Napoli
- Will Jurgen Klopp take his football romance with Liverpool to a new level?
- Carlo Ancelotti replaces Maurizio Sarri at Napoli’s helm
- Arsenal welcome Unai Emery to write new chapter