Argentina’s Jorge Sampaoli is still playing with his 35 preliminary names for Russia 2018
When most of the teams are ready with their final 23-man squad, Argentina’s coach Jorge Sampaoli has been able to come up with his preliminary 35 names for his squad. It leaves us with many questions unanswered as it has been the case since Sampaoli has taken La Albiceleste job.
Sampaoli long list includes 4 goalkeepers, 11 defenders, 13 midfielders, and 7 strikers. It will be difficult for Sampaoli to cut short the list before June 4.
It’s good to see Paulo Dybala and Mauro Icardi both on the list despite missing much of the qualifying campaign and recent friendly against Italy and Spain. Whether they’ll be able to make into the final 23 is still a doubt considering Sampaoli needs to get rid of 12 men from the list before June 4.
Lionel Messi, Gonzalo Higuain, Sergio Aguero, Lautaro Martinez, Paulo Dybala, Mauro Icardi, and Diego Perotti have made the cut in preliminary strikers’ choice. We know better that three of the name from there won’t be on the final 23-man list.
Two-time #WorldCup winners 🇦🇷Argentina have revealed their provisional squad for Russia 2018!🏆🇷🇺
The final 23-man squad lists will be published by FIFA on 4 June 👇 https://t.co/gXibW8N7wx
— FIFA World Cup 🏆 (@FIFAWorldCup) May 14, 2018
Manuel Lanzini, Ricardo Centurion, Maximiliano Meza, Lucas Biglia, Guido Pizarro, Enzo Perez, Ever Banega, Giovani Lo Celso, Leandro Paredes, Rodrigo Battaglia, Angel Di Maria, Cristian Pavon, and Pablo Perez find their name in 13-man midfield list. This list will cut short to eight on the final 23-man squad list.
Argentina is going with 11 defenders in preliminary list which will also be cut short to 8 on the final list. Gabriel Mercado, Eduardo Salvio, Javier Mascherano, Nicolas Otamendi, German Pezzella, Federico Fazio, Marcos Rojo, Ramiro Funes Mori, Nicolas Tagliafico, Marcos Acuna, and Cristian Ansaldi are in preliminary list. Hoe this list shape up will determine Argentina’s Russia 2018 campaign more than Lionel Messi’s role.
There are four goalkeepers on the preliminary list which includes Sergio Romero, Wilfredo Caballero, Nahuel Guzman, and Franco Armani. Three will make the final list and one will have to say goodbye before June 4.
The 35-member is a long list and it’s a difficult job to cut them to 23. As soon as they’ll be able to train together, it will make easier for Argentina boss to decide their final 23-man squad.
- Gareth Bale ends Liverpool crazy run to Champions League final 2017/18
- OGC Nice midfielder Jean Michael Serri is transfer market darling
- Manchester United eyes Douglas Costa for €85m
- UEFA Champions League final 2017/18: Liverpool or Real Madrid – the game of heart and mind
- Tottenham Hotspur continue to work with their core group as Mauricio Pochettino and other coaching staffs renew their contracts
- Unai Emery was bold in his first interview as Arsenal boss
- Angel Di Maria may reunite with Carlo Ancelotti at Napoli
- Will Jurgen Klopp take his football romance with Liverpool to a new level?
- Carlo Ancelotti replaces Maurizio Sarri at Napoli’s helm
- Arsenal welcome Unai Emery to write new chapter