Russia 2018: Jose Mourinho counting on Spain and Brazil, but not ruling out Argentina and Portugal
Spain, Germany, France, and Brazil are favorites to win FIFA World Cup Russia 2018. Then, there are dark horses in Belgium and Croatia, but no one can rule out Argentina and Portugal because they accommodate modern days two of the football greats; Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo in their teams respectively. Even Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho is counting on Spain and Brazil, but he is not ruling out Argentina and Portugal.
Mourinho told ESPN Brazil, “Portugal has an interesting squad. Without Cristiano, it would be impossible. But with him nothing is impossible.”
He added that the same can be said about Argentina. “I believe that the Argentinian national team without Lionel Messi wouldn’t be a contender. But with him, it’s one of the favorites.”
Then he shared his light on the development of Brazil and Spain. He thinks that Brazil from South America and Spain from Europe are real contenders to win the FIFA World Cup Russia 2018.
He said, “I like very much the basic structure of Brazil, its tactical and mentality. There is a mixture of Brazilian natural talents, with a serious approach, physical, tactical. It’s a team capable of defending well, allowing few goals, with a good support base. And then up front with Willian, Neymar, Coutinho, and Jesus … All players with outstanding qualities.”
Brazil may be Jose Mourinho’s pick from South America, but Spain is his favorite from Europe.
He adds, “We have the traditional teams of Europe, but I believe Spain is once again a real team. They were able to get together players with the same game philosophy, adapted to that playing style. I would say that Spain is in better condition than any other European rivals. But let’s see … it’s going to be entertaining to me.”
- Gareth Bale ends Liverpool crazy run to Champions League final 2017/18
- OGC Nice midfielder Jean Michael Serri is transfer market darling
- Manchester United eyes Douglas Costa for €85m
- UEFA Champions League final 2017/18: Liverpool or Real Madrid – the game of heart and mind
- Tottenham Hotspur continue to work with their core group as Mauricio Pochettino and other coaching staffs renew their contracts
- Unai Emery was bold in his first interview as Arsenal boss
- Angel Di Maria may reunite with Carlo Ancelotti at Napoli
- Will Jurgen Klopp take his football romance with Liverpool to a new level?
- Carlo Ancelotti replaces Maurizio Sarri at Napoli’s helm
- Arsenal welcome Unai Emery to write new chapter