Barcelona two dates away from becoming invincible after 5-1 Villarreal routing
Villarreal gave a guard of honour to Barcelona before the game but the hosts show no mercy on their visitors at Camp Nou. They routed them 5-1 jeopardizing their Europa League berth as Philippe Coutinho, Paulinho, Lionel Messi, and Ousmane Dembele twice find the net. It left Barcelona with only two dates away from becoming La Liga’s invincible team.
— BarcaTimes Media (@BarcaTimemedia1) May 9, 2018
Barcelona manager Ernesto Valverde gave rest to several of starters but it doesn’t affect the outcome. Blaugrana were on the scoresheet as quickly as possible with the work of two €100 million signings. Dembele was the creator and Coutinho was the scorer to give Barcelona 1-0 lead.
It took minutes for Paulinho to make it 2-0 after a great work from Andres Iniesta and Lucas Digne. And when there is a goal galore at Camp Nou, Messi simply can’t miss out. Barcelona no.10 takes his goal tally to 34 in La Liga to strengthen his position to win the European Golden Shoe award making it 3-0 before the half-time.
— FC Barcelona 🏆🏆 (@FCBarcelona) May 9, 2018
Villarreal have had their chances but they didn’t trouble Jasper Cillessen with their efforts. They tried from distance on a couple of occasions and the chances go begging. Their only goal arrived from a deflected shot. Fornals shot was deflected in off the back by Sansone and it made 3-1.
Barcelona taking no risks soon brought in Luis Suarez and Ivan Rakitic in place of Andres Iniesta and Lucas Digne to continue their unbeaten run. Suarez didn’t find himself on the scoresheet but Rakitic move helped.
It was one of the days for Croatian midfielder on which he can say that he matched Lionel Messi’s skills. He made a solo run getting passed numerous defenders before finally passing the ball to Dembele to score the easiest of goals. Dembele finally found himself on the scoresheet but it was Rakitic who deserved to stole the limelight. But, Dembele has his moment later. The French international started in his own half making a forward run before finally chipping the ball over Villarreal’s goalkeeper to make it 5-0. He had Messi in a better position on his right but he tries something superficial and he succeeded.
Barcelona got their deserved 5-1 victory to continue their unbeaten run. Now Blaugrana are only two dates away from making history to become the La Liga’s invincible team.
- Gareth Bale ends Liverpool crazy run to Champions League final 2017/18
- OGC Nice midfielder Jean Michael Serri is transfer market darling
- Manchester United eyes Douglas Costa for €85m
- UEFA Champions League final 2017/18: Liverpool or Real Madrid – the game of heart and mind
- Tottenham Hotspur continue to work with their core group as Mauricio Pochettino and other coaching staffs renew their contracts
- Unai Emery was bold in his first interview as Arsenal boss
- Angel Di Maria may reunite with Carlo Ancelotti at Napoli
- Will Jurgen Klopp take his football romance with Liverpool to a new level?
- Carlo Ancelotti replaces Maurizio Sarri at Napoli’s helm
- Arsenal welcome Unai Emery to write new chapter