Barcelona again goes to Ajax route prioritizing De Jong for 2019
Barcelona’s La Masia academy has failed to deliver the first team potentials in recent years. And, the big money moves coming in as Andre Gomes, Paulinho, Ousmane Dembele, and Philippe Coutinho have hardly impressed to fit into the Barcelona system. Now, Blaugranas are going to back to their Ajax route in search of the talents. They have prioritized the signing of Frenkie De Jong, the 20-year-old Ajax midfielder in order to strengthen their midfield.
Los Cules are desperate to strengthen their jeopardize midfield. Xavi Hernandez hasn’t been yet fully replaced and now Andres Iniesta is going to leave a void in La Liga’s 2017/18 champions team. Sergio Busquets is the only member left from Barcelona’s most successful midfield trio. It brought urgency for the Camp Nou based team to look around for the potential replacements.
Coutinho was brought in January 2018 as Andres Iniesta replacement, but it has been realized that the Brazilian playmaker is more of a replacement for Neymar rather than Iniesta. Now, Barcelona is going for Ajax route to find the midfielder who can fill in the void places.
Mundo Deportivo reports, “ Frenkie De Jong is a footballer who would fit right into the dynamics of Barcelona. He would rejuvenate the Barcelona midfield lineup which represents the stars who are already in their thirties. And, departing Andres Iniesta would live a void for De Jong in that lineup.”
It adds, “With these conditions, and taking into account that we must think about the future, Barca has already moved to block the Ajax midfielder until 2019. The Barca club has maintained several contacts with its most direct environment and his agent and has shown real interest in getting his services, although not this summer but the next. Barca has moved in this line to prevent the player from committing to another club of the many who are following his spectacular evolution in the ranks of Ajax.”
De Jong is only 20-year-old and he has already been compared to Franz Beckenbauer by ESPN. Arie Haan, Netherlands, and Ajax’s one of the greats of 70’s claims, “De Jong is a better version of Franz Beckenbauer because he has the speed and passes the ball easily.”
Well, we’ll need to see how he develops next season. And, will he be able to fit in Barcelona ranks as some other Ajax greats have been in the past. Johan Cruyff, Patrick Kluivert, and Frank De Boer and many others had established themselves in Barcelona ranks after initial success with Ajax.
Besides De Jong, other members of the current Ajax team is also on the radar of Barcelona’s scout team. Patrick Kluivert’s son Justin Kluivert, Matthijs de Ligt, Donny van de Beek, and Kasper Dolberg has been watched over prolonged time by Barcelona scout and they may have a future in Catalonia.
- UEFA Champions League final 2017/18: Liverpool or Real Madrid – the game of heart and mind
- Tottenham Hotspur continue to work with their core group as Mauricio Pochettino and other coaching staffs renew their contracts
- Unai Emery was bold in his first interview as Arsenal boss
- Angel Di Maria may reunite with Carlo Ancelotti at Napoli
- Will Jurgen Klopp take his football romance with Liverpool to a new level?
- Carlo Ancelotti replaces Maurizio Sarri at Napoli’s helm
- Arsenal welcome Unai Emery to write new chapter
- Lothar Matthaus criticized Thiago Alcantara and advises Bayern Munich to sale the player
- Jurgen Klopp can’t let go that opportunity
- Jorge Sampaoli’s Argentina finally includes Dybala for Russia 2018 squad